The CAGE Questionnaire is a simple tool that allows for quick screening for the signs of alcoholism. The name CAGE comes from the acronym of the initial letters of the key words for each question.
- C = Cut down,
- A = Annoyed,
- G = Guilty,
- E = Eye-opener (early morning drink).
The CAGE questionnaire is often used by general practitioners and family doctors as a screening tool for signs and symptoms of alcoholism. Although it may look to be short and crude it has a remarkable degree of accuracy, particularly in the higher scoring ranges.
If you’re concerned about your own drinking habits, take a moment to consider the following questions. The questionnaire asks the following questions:
1. Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
2. Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
3. Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
4. Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
Two “yes” responses indicate that your alcohol use patterns should be investigated further. Please feel free to contact me by phone or by e mail to talk about your results.